MTI 11 - 7 Days Silek - A Cultural Side of Minangkabau Martial Art
Program Details & Highlights
West Sumatra-Indonesia, Minangkabau Culture, Matrilineal Society, Mini Ethno Photography, Human-Animal Collaborative Work.
A small group of cultural adventure on Mini Ethno photography Journey in the land of world largest society in order to know their culture on cooperative work with animal. A side to introduce and maintain about world unique culture from photography.
A combination of a lot of life experience, beautiful natural landscape, different culture, mutual respect, peace and friendship become a memorable holiday.
This photography journey will be traced in West Sumatra, an Indonesian province lies on the west coast of the island of Sumatra. Minangkabau, an ethnic group, is formed under matrilineal culture in the way of living and well known as world largest matrilineal society. “Silek” is the Minangkabau name for their indigenous version of martial arts known as silat in other parts of Indonesia. Silek is taught to almost all young boys and sometimes to young girls as an important element of indigenous tradition and custom as a valuable part of their ethnic identity. The trip chain will provide a possibility of Silek’s styles, training methods, and silek in dance to be pictured by photographers to contribute on maintaining a culture documentation.
Day by Day MTI 11 - 7 Days Silek - A Cultural Side of Minangkabau Martial Art
Day 1: Salamaik Datang-Arrival in Minangkabau International Airport (D)
Welcome, Meet n Greet and about 1,5 hours drive to Pariaman, a coastal town with several villages where majority people live as fisherman and farmer. Check in at a standard comfortable hotel. Free program to release your “lag” or let’s enjoy coconut nearby the beach that face Indian Ocean. Local Dinner with “Tuo Silek” (Local Silek Master) from Pariaman and getting orientation about his style.
Day 2: Silek and Coastal Culture (BLD)
In the past era, people who learn Silek would pay by helping the master daily works, such as farming, fishing or trading, etc. As Pariaman are in the coastal of West Sumatra, the “Tuo Silek” here usually ask their Silek’s student to help them in fisherman activities such as net fishing, fish drying, etc. We will join their activities about half day. Lunch will be at local restaurant. Then we will have city tour to recognize more about culture and world historical influences to Minangkabau People in Pariaman from some spots and local Market. Dinner will be at local restaurant. Around 08.00 PM we will join how the master transfer their style to the students in his “Sasaran” (Silek place learning). Back to Hotel.
Day 3: Silek and Highland Culture (BLD)
Check out and move to Bukittinggi in the highland of West Sumatra. We will have some stop to take some amazing architectural spots that influencing architectural and culture in West Sumatra. Today we will also discover how the family industry on “brick production”. A unique collaborative work among animal, men and women are really interesting here. Beside those spots, we will also visit a spectacular natural phenomenon that create an amazing Sianok Canyon view. Check in at Bukittinggi, a historical city which is closely related to Dutch Colonial era. Local Dinner with “Tuo Silek” (Local Silek Master) from Agam (Local Silek Master) and getting orientation about his style.
Day 4: Silek and Highland Culture (BLD)
As Agam are in the highland of West Sumatra, here the “Tuo Silek” usually ask their Silek’s student to help them in farming activities such as plowing, planting, harvesting, other plantation work etc. About hal fday, we will experience this activities in the village where the majority work as sugarcane farmer who directly produce “brown sugar” with simply technology. We will visit a beautiful view of Lake Maninjau from hill’s top where the neighborhood had a unique way to roast nut, they use volcano sand. Enroute lunch. In early afternoon we will circle the Sianok Canyon to Palupuh where Sir Stamford Raffless had his trace research in Palupuh. Here we will get “Luwak” coffee break that the coffee traditionally roasted in “Belanga” (clay pot). Dinner at Hotel.
Day 5: Silek and Ancient Land Culture (BLD)
Check out and drive about 1,5 hours to Tanah Datar where we will explore a royal icon of Minangkabau people, “Pagaruyuang Palace” and then see + 400 years an Minangkabau ancient typical house. Before enroute lunch discover how blacksmith worker produce a typical custom Silek’s weapon call “Kurambik” and the other spot is to visit typical custom musical instrument made of buffalo horn and bamboo. Attend Your Photo Exhibition in Minangkabau Documentation and Cultural Information Center Building. Those pictures will be donated to this government office, thus, your master piece will be displayed in the gallery of this government official building. Enroute Dinner and check in at hotel in Padang.
Day 6: Silek on Modern Culture (BLD)
Today on learning “Silek Style”, somebody will go to “Sasaran” asking permission or privately permission to a “well known Tuo Silek”. What a about the “tuition fee”?? We will get the information from one of Minangkabau’s Tuo Silek who already has developed some “Sasaran” abroad. Getting to know about his style. City Tour in Padang, a capital city of West Sumatra. Explore community culture as well as historical sites. Farewell dinner with special cultural art performance ended with broken glass dancing.
Day 7: Airport Transfer - Sampai Jumpa (B) (Thursday)
Free program with your own leisure until airport transfer or continue with the next program.
- 2.5% will be donated to support Green Tourism Institute to educate and advocate West Sumatra local community about “sustainable tourism”.
- Small Group Trip (Maximum 16 Pax)
- The trip’s purpose is to maintain and introduce “Silek” culture from photography journey, expected that local people will keep their culture as many outsider interesting to see and recognizing it deeper. Beside through photography, tourists are encouraged to support and develop a part of world as destination for peace and mutual respect.
- This is an open trip, you will gather traveler around the world.
- Special private trip or out of the schedule please contact us.
- For Women dont forget to bring your “knee length” dresses/clothes(in certain places you have to wear it).
- Some routes are in remote area, away from tourist trail and most activities directly deal with local people. Our guides will brief about appropriate behavior, both cultural and environmental.
- Everyday choose one of your picture to be submitted to our guide. All collected pictures will be exhibit in West Sumatra.
- Don’t worry about West Sumatra menu, even this Province well known with spicy food but there are many alternatives menu that meet the foreigners taste.
- Bring your own repellent/mosquito spray and private medicine.
- For any force majeure situation, operator will change the route/activities to the equal one.
- Trip start and end at Padang (West Sumatra-Indonesia)
- Above price is a starting price base on 2 pax and twin share room (the more pax you join and directly confirm, there will be a significant price adjustment).
2 Nights B&B at Pariaman (standard hotel)
2 Nights B&B at Bukittinggi (4 star hotel)
2 Nights B&B at Padang (4 star hotel)
*Single Supplement ( + € 116 / $131)
Meals as stated in program detail (6X dinner, 5X lunch, 6X breakfast)
* Local Dinner will be hosted by a family and the authentic Minangkabau menu is chosen and adjusted with foreigner taste.
* Please inform us for any dietary or vegetarian requirement
- Tour Design.
- 6 Night Accommodation as in “Accommodation & Meals” Information.
- Meals as in “Accommodation & Meals” Information.
- Comfortable Tourist Transportation (adjusted as number of travelers).
- Experience Local Transport in certain occasion.
- Licensed English Speaking Guide and Silek Experts.
- Tour Crews (Logistic, Videographer & Photographer)
- Donation to Green Tourism Institute and certify as Green Friend of Indonesia.
- All Entrance Fee, donations to local community and activities fee.
- Private Cultural Performances at Farewell Dinner
- CD Documentation
- International Flight Ticket
- All Personal Expense or Anything out of Inclusions
- Tipping (Please contact us for suggestion)