MTI 01 - 8 Days The Culture of Human-Animal Collaboration
Program Details & Highlights
West Sumatra-Indonesia, Minangkabau Culture, Matrilineal Society, Mini Ethno-Photography, Human-Animal Collaboration.
A cultural adventure in the land of the world’s largest Matrilineal society that nurtures certain animals such as the buffalo, cow, monkey, horse, and dog to be trained to help them do certain work. So, let’s keep this culture alive and recognized from your photographic holiday.
This trip also contributes to culturally introduce West Sumatra and economically develop it as a destination.
This combination of life experiences, beautiful natural landscape, different cultures, mutual respect, peace and friendship will make the journey a memorable holiday.
8 Days, The Culture of Human-Animal Collaboration
(A Mini Ethno-Photographic Journey in the Land of the Minangkabaus)
This photographic journey will trace West Sumatra, an Indonesian province on the west coast of the island of Sumatra. Minangkabau, the major ethnic group, is a matrilineal culture and known as the world’s largest matrilineal society.
One of the culturally unique activity in the daily life of the Minangkabau people is their collaboration with animals to do special work. For 8 days you will have a general knowledge about Minangkabau Culture and in particular the collaboration between humans-animals. This will be the basis of your ethno-photographic activity which is the center of your amazing holiday.
Day by Day MTI 01 - 8 Days The Culture of Human-Animal Collaboration
Day 1: Salamaik Datang - Welcome to the land of the Minangkabau (D)
Arrival at Minangkabau International Airport – Padang. Meet & Greet and in about 1,5 hours drive to Pariaman, a coastal town with several villages where majority of the people live as fishermen and farmers.
Check in at a standard comfortable hotel. Free program to release your “lag” or enjoying coconut nearby the beach that faces the Indian Ocean. Local Dinner with a local family who trains monkeys to help them pluck the coconut. Getting to know this culture. (D)
Day 2: Culture in a spread of The Land of Minangkabau (BLD)
Join and Experience the monkey owner’s daily activities related to plucking coconut (from the house to the coconut plantation). Lunch will be at a local restaurant. Then, we will have city tour to see more culture and world historical influences to Minangkabau People in Pariaman from some spots and local Market. Local Dinner with a local family that train “buffalo” to help them in producing “bricks”. “Brick” production in West Sumatra is usually run by a family (men and women) with buffalo support. Each of them will have a specific unique role in running this industry.
Day 3: Culture in Mainland Minangkabau (BLD)
Breakfast and check out. Visit and experience the family “brick production” daily activities. Lunch box will be provided at location. Then the journey continues to the mainland of Minangkabau in the highland of West Sumatra. We will have some stops to take some amazing shots of architectural spots.
Check in at Bukittinggi, a historical city which is closely related to Dutch Colonial era. After dinner at hotel, we will have a short walk to explore 18th century buildings as well as enjoy the charms of Bukittinggi at night.
Day 4: Culture in Mainland Minangkabau (BLD)
In the morning we will have a short walk to rent horse cart and experience the ride to see a stunning view of Sianok Canyon. Today, we will ride the cart for a few hours in order to know about what is behind the horse cart (blacksmith work, horse food & feeding, cart decoration, etc). Lunch will be at local restaurant. Afternoon coffee break will be in a village that produces organic “Luwak Coffee”. Dinner at Hotel.
Day 5: Culture in Mainland Minangkabau (BLD)
Take a 1,5 hour drive to a village in Agam where majority of villagers are sugarcane farmers. The sugarcane will be processed into “brown sugar”. Today, in processing the brown sugar people use a simple machine to squeeze the cane while in the past a buffalo was used to help in operating the simple machine (a small number of family industries still do it this way). After knowing how the brown sugar is produced, we will head off to a spectacular view of Lake Maninjau from a hill top. Nearby, we will see a unique processing way to roast nut using volcano sand. Visit Koto Gadang, a village of silversmiths decorating silver products with Minangkabau art designs.
Dinner at Hotel.
Day 6: Culture in Ancient Land of Minangkabau (BLD)
Check out and Drive to Tanah Datar. There we will meet local cow traders who give special treatment and preparation to cows competing in a traditional cow race called “Pacu Jawi”. The winner of this unique cow race is decided on the basis of the cow that runs in a straight line. That means the cow is good in plowing the rice field and when sold commands a high price. Then we will Visit a Royal Icon of Minangkabau, “Pagaruyuang Palace”. Lunch Box on location. Drive about 2,5 hours to Padang, the capital city of West Sumatra. Enroute Dinner at Local Restaurant.
Day 7: Cultural Art Photography Sharing (BLD)
Your Photo Exhibition in West Sumatra Cultural Center Building about half a day. Those pictures will be donated to West Sumatra Tourism and Culture Official. Thus, your master piece will be displayed in the gallery of this government building. A valuable contribution from all of you to protect the culture of West Sumatra. Lunch will be at local restaurant. Sunset coffee break at Padang Beach. Hotel farewell dinner with special cultural art performance ending with broken glass dancing. Tonight you will be certified as “the Green Friend of Indonesia” from Green Tourism Institute.
Day 8: Airport Transfer - Sampai Jumpa (B)
Free program at your own leisure until airport transfer or continue with the next program.
Dates, Prices & Availability
|20 - 27 Jan, 2020||Excluding Flight||Departure Guaranteed||$ 1966||
|9 - 16 Nov, 2020||Excluding Flight||Departure Guaranteed||$ 1966||
|4 - 11 Jan, 2021||Excluding Flight||Departure Guaranteed||$ 1966||
|18 - 25 Jan, 2021||Excluding Flight||Departure Guaranteed||$ 1966||
|8 - 15 Nov, 2021||Excluding Flight||Departure Guaranteed||$ 1966||
- 2.5% will be donated to support Green Tourism Institute to educate and advocate West Sumatra local community about “sustainable tourism”.
- Small Group Trip (Maximum 16 Pax)
The trip’s purpose is to preserve culture through a photographic journey, expecting the local people will keep their indigenous culture as many outsiders are interested to see and learn more about it.
Other than through photography, tourists are encouraged to support and develop this part of the world as a destination for peace and mutual respect.
- This is an open trip, you will gather traveler around the world.
- Special private trip or out of the schedule please contact us.
- Women don’t forget to bring your “knee length” dresses/clothes (in certain places you have to wear it – cultural norm).
- Some routes are in remote area, away from tourist trail and most activities directly deal with local people. Our guides will brief about appropriate behavior, both cultural and environmental.
- Everyday choose one of your photos to be submitted to our guide. All collected photos will be exhibited in West Sumatra.
- Don’t worry about West Sumatra menu, although this Province is well known for its spicy food there are many alternatives that meet your taste.
- Bring your own repellent/mosquito spray and private medicine.
- For any force majeure situation, operator will change the route/activities to a similar one.
- Trip starts and ends at Padang (West Sumatra-Indonesia)
- Above price is a starting price base on a minimum 2 pax and twin share room (the more pax you directly confirm, there will be a significant price adjustment).
2 Nights B&B at Pariaman (standard hotel)
3 Nights B&B at Bukittinggi (4 star hotel)
2 Nights B&B at Padang (4 star hotel)
*Single Supplement (+ $ 225)
Meals as stated in program detail (7X dinner, 6X lunch, 7X breakfast)
* Local Dinner will be hosted by a family and the authentic Minangkabau menu is chosen and adjusted with foreigner taste.
* Please inform us for any dietary or vegetarian requirement
- Tour Design.
- 7 Night Accommodation as in “Accommodation & Meals” Information.
- Meals as in “Accommodation & Meals” Information.
- Comfortable Tourist Transportation (adjusted as number of travelers).
- Experience Local Transport in certain occasion.
- Licensed English Speaking Guide.
- Tour Crews (Logistic, Videographer & Photographer)
- Donation to Green Tourism Institute and certify as Green Friend of Indonesia.
- All Entrance Fee, donations to local community and activities fee.
- Private Cultural Performances at Farewell Dinner
- CD Documentation
- International Flight Ticket
- All Personal Expense or Anything out of Inclusions
- Tipping (Please contact us for suggestion)