MTI 10 - 14 Days From Art to Conserve Culture and Nature, a Side of Painting Holiday
Program Details & Highlights
- Do painting to discover, acknowledge and maintain the culture and nature.
- A combination of a lot of life experience, beautiful natural landscape, different culture, mutual respect, peace and friendship become a memorable holiday.
- A painting trip for beginner-professional painters that facilitate to share one to another.
- Through holidays people encouraged to maintain cultural from art works (painting)
- Support people in destination to be economically developed
- You are free to express any painting style
A fun challenging “sketching” and fast “en plain air” work trip through cultural trace of matrilineal community. Chase culture and nature related object and express it to your canvas. Experience a journey on the volcanic chain and the unique nature landscape. Discover adventure when you know culture influencing art. Find a different nuance of staying in several accommodation type (a combination of star hotel, local resident, and fun camp). Let’s do special thing from art for world peace and mutual respect. Art is the part of us in protecting culture and nature.
Day by Day MTI 10 - 14 Days From Art to Conserve Culture and Nature, a Side of Painting Holiday
Day 1: Salamaik Datang, Arrival in Minangkabau International Airport (D)
Welcome to Padang. Drive 2,5 hours to highland of West Sumatra. Check in at comfortable hotel Free program to release your “lag”, the hotel has a nice view lounge and exciting pool or you could enjoy our traditional massage. Short walk also possible as the hotel only 100 m from local bursting market. Hotel Dinner, meet Minangkabau local artist, Iswandi who will accompany you for painting discussion.
Day 2: Social Life in Authentic Village (BLD)
Explore authentic village social life and discover cultural art tradition understanding base on Islam in symbol and decoration for weaving and carving in Canduang. This countryside lying in the foothills and slope of Mt. Marapi where the main income base on farming and plantation. Late afternoon, experience organic “Coffe Luwak” production process, coffee fun spa, and enjoy a cup of local warm coffee, in a village where Sir Stamford Raffless held Sumatra botany research. Hotel Dinner.
Day 3: Social Life in Textile Village (BLD)
Discover foreign influence in local architectural in IV Angkek and Sungai Pua. A countryside where the majority of people are trader or run textile related industry in transition to modern way. Late afternoon break in “Coffee Kawa”, a special drink in West Sumatra discovered in Indonesia under Dutch colonial rule. During that time, native farmers and plantation workers were forbidden from harvesting coffee for their own use. Hotel Dinner.
Day 4: Gorgeous Lake, Art and Culture (BLD)
A stunning views of Lake Maninjau, an ancient caldera of Mt. Sitinjau have been painted by Dutch Lithographer named F.C. Wilsen. Surround this area, you’ll be taken back about a part of Minangkabau history. Discover some unique culture of Minangkabau related to sugarcane farming and collaborative work between human and animal. Late afternoon, explore Koto Gadang, a village where a historical handmade silversmith and embroidery production with old technique and style of work. Hotel Dinner.
Day 5: Great Ancient Land (BLD)
Check Out. Continue to Tanah Datar, visit Minangkabau royal icon, “Pagaruyuang Palace” and + 400 years old Minangkabau typical house. Then we’ll check in at village local accommodation, Welcome and enjoy an atmosphere in lakeside village. Amazing sunset, and relax atmosphere to continue your work near the lake side. Local host dinner.
Day 6: Great Ancient Village (BLD)
Visit the most beautiful village on “Budget Travel” version. A Chance to experience how to make some musical and martial weapon products. Discover how nature condition influence art. After lunch visit cultural village, halfday here for “sketching and speed en plain air painting” to continue your painting work or directly paint surround the cultural spirit of Minangkabau. We’ll experience how people prepare meal for formal reception or ceremony. It’s fun as you will get Minangkabau dress code. For a group of traveler, each will have role in in a reception setting called “Bajamba” dinner.
Day 7: En Plein Air (BLD)
Check out and drive and stop to catch a stunning view and windy hills surround Lake Singkarak. And do your fast en plain air painting for half day. Early afternoon, move to Sawahlunto, the oldest coal mining town in South East Asia. Check in at standard hotel and dinner.
Day 8: European Trace in South East Asia’s Oldest Mining Town (BLD)
A walking tour and sometimes we combine with local transportation to discover how mining golden era gave coloring the local culture and the colonial building still sturdy stand in this town. Explore famous weaving style and eco handicraft culture in Sumatra. Drive to Padang, enroute dinner and late check in.
Day 9: Marine Conservation and Island Beach “en plain air” (BLD)
Start from a river jetty, a river harbor as a main gate to West Sumatra in early colonial periods. Jhr. Josias Cornelis Rappard, a Dutch lithographer depicted this “Dutch East Indies” main harbor. By boat, move to TWP Pieh, a marine conservation area in the west coast of Padang. As passing the river gate, it is the time to take the picture as the material painting challenge. Dolphin watch will be the first experience. Check in at your Tent sweet tent for a night. Beach leisure, “sketching” or “en plein air” painting. Our chef will provide you a special menu in front of campfire. In certain time of the night, there will be a possibility to peeking sea turtles laying egg.
Day 10: Beach En Plein Air and Marine Conservation in Private Island (BLD)
Full day “en plain air” activities. Island leisure (swimming/snorkeling/ beach walking, etc) and join the conservation officer activities: sea turtles conservation and dolphin watching). Our chef will provide you a special menu in front of campfire. In certain time of the night, there will be a possibility to peeking sea turtles laying egg.
Day 11: Coastal Culture (BLD)
Leaving the island and chase the coastal culture of fisherman village, especially their morning activity to net the fish. Don’t miss the local fishermen back from the Ocean. Enjoy Sunset of Indian Ocean with “coconut break”, check in and dinner at local restaurant.
Day 12: Painting Jamming (BLD)
Let’s do something and share cheeriness to others. Leave your painting jamming in the local wall as decorative mural. Lunch box provided in painting jamming location. Visit for the preparation of your trip’s work exhibition with local artist paintings. (During the trip, you should at least finish one painting. It will be donated to West Sumatra Government Office. It would be expected to encourage local people to develop an appreciation for art work as well as giving the appreciation space for local artists. So far, many of West Sumatra local artists are difficult to develop economically in art work). Lunch at local restaurant & Dinner will be at street food court.
Day 13: From Art to Local Community (BLD)
Exhibitions day with local artists (Ceremonial Opening & Program). Free time to interact with local artists and visitors. Hotel Farewell Dinner with traditional art performance, somebody will dance on the broken glass as the peak of your memorable night.
Day 14: Airport Transfer - Sampai Jumpa
Free program with your own leisure until airport transfer or continue with the next program (The important thing is that we do look forward to hear and see your sketch finished)
- 2.5% will be donated to support Green Tourism Institute to educate and advocate West Sumatra local community about “sustainable tourism”.
- Small Group Trip (Maximum 16 Pax)
- In camp site and “Rumah Gadang”, a Local Comunal Resident: you’ll face and deal with standard condition.
- In camp site and “Rumah Gadang”, you’ll get a clean communal facilities (each rumah Gadang usually has 3-4 toilet/bathroom)
- In local resident our team will manage and advise about rubbish handling.
- In Rumah Gadang you’ll get twin/tripple/communal/dormy share of room with single bedding (no single supplement available)
- In camp site : single tent
- The trip’s purpose is to trace painting history about West Sumatra and try to repaint again in a recent condition, experience culture and how locals living the live from a journey, expected that local people will get culture sharing in order to maintain the good things from their side as many outsider interesting to see and recognizing it deeper. Beside, tourist is encouraged to support and develop a part of world as destination for peace and mutual respect. As well as to cultural sharing about a good life.
- Malala Tour Indonesia will provide 4 canvases (40 x 60 cm) and other standard painting equipment (suggesting to bring your own equipment).
- This is an open trip, you will gather traveler around the world.
- Special private trip or out of the schedule please contact us.
- The routes are in remote area, away from tourist trail and most activities directly deal with local people. Our guides will brief about appropriate behavior, both cultural and environmental.
- For non restaurant, don’t worry about meals, we provide in our team a “chef” and supported with locals. Also about West Sumatra menu, even this Province well known with spicy food but there are many alternatives menu that meet the foreigners taste.
- Bring your own repelent/mosquito spray, and private medicine.
- For any force majeure situation, operator will change the route/ activities to the equal one.
- Trip starts and end at Padang (West Sumatra-Indonesia)
- Above price is a starting price base on 2 pax and twin share room (the more pax you join and directly confirm, there will be a significant price adjustment).
4 Nights B&B at Bukittinggi (4 star hotel)
2 Nights at “Rumah Gadang”, a local comunal house (standard - no single supplement)
1 Nights B&B at Sawahlunto (standard hotel)
4 Nights B&B at Padang (4 star Hotel).
2 Nights Campsites in Private Island (Single Tent)
*Single Supplement only for Hotel (+ € 204 / $ 229)
Meals as stated in program detail (13X dinner, 12X lunch, 13X breakfast)
* Please inform us for any dietary or vegetarian requirement
- Tour Design.
- 13 Night Accommodation as in “Accommodation & Meals” Information.
- Meals as in “Accommodation & Meals” Information.
- Comfortable Tourist Transportation (adjusted as number of travellers).
- Boat for transfers and activities in private Island.
- Experience Local Transportation in certain occasion.
- Licensed English Speaking Guide, Local Painter/Artist, Snorkeling Guide and Diving Guide (only if you have proven license).
- Tour Crews (Logistic, Local Chef, Videographer & Photographer)
- Donation to Green Tourism Institute and certify as Green Friend of Indonesia.
- All Entrance Fee , donations to local community and activities fee.
- Snorkeling Equipment and for diving we only provide oxygen tube.
- Camping Equipment (Tent, Head Lamp, Sleeping Bag, Mattresses, and First Aid)
- Mentioned Painting Equipment: Canvas (60 x 40 cm 4 pcs/pax), Painter’s Easel, Canvas Tube, Pallette and standard paints (water/oil).
- Private Cultural Performances at Farewell Dinner
- CD Documentation
- International Flight Ticket
- All Personal Expense or Anything out of Inclusions
- Tipping (Please contact us for suggestion)