MTI 03 - 17 Days Coastal Land to Highland Minangkabau Unique Culture Discovery
Program Details & Highlights
Most of trip will be taken away far from the tourist trail, from Coastal Land to the Highland of Minangkabau. From city, town and countryside where indigenous Minangkabau live the modern life but still maintain their unique tradition, custom and local wisdom.
This is experiential adventure to discover the cultural uniqueness of the largest matrilineal society called Minangkabau in West Sumatra, Indonesia.
It combines local resident, standard to comfortable hotel as the accommodation that adjust to real condition surround visited places. The journey use standard tourist transportation and local transport in certain occasion. It is also a combination of walking and driving tour.
In the main land of West Sumatra, a majority group of people called Minangkabau. This ethnic group (also known as Minang or Padang) is indigenous to the highlands of West Sumatra, Indonesia. The Minangs are the world's largest matrilineal society, with a complex social structure based on matrilineal clans, and property, such as land and houses, inherited through female lineage. Beside complexity of their social structure, there are many unique culture and local wisdom are interesting to explore experientially.
Let’s discover beautiful nature and unique art & culture.
Let’s experience adventure for food and activities from two indigenous tribe in West Sumatra
Day by Day MTI 03 - 17 Days Coastal Land to Highland Minangkabau Unique Culture Discovery
Day 1: Salamaik Datang - Arrival in Minangkabau International Airport (D)
Welcome to Padang, West Sumatra, meet and greet. Directly transfer for check in at standard hotel in Pariaman. Have chance to rest and relax and wait as the rest of group arrives. After hotel dinner our guide wills brief program orientation.
Day 2: Minangkabau Coastal Culture
Breakfast, lazy morning, and enjoy staying in the coastal region. Explore and experience activities in Fisherman village tour such as “beach net fishing”, drying fish, etc and social interaction. Lunch with Minangkabau Seafood Menu. Explore culture and art of coastal Pariaman. Coconut break in front of Indian Ocean. Dinner will be at local restaurant.
Day 3: Green Action for Pariaman (BLD)
Let’s do nature conservation with our affiliate “Green Tourism Institute” to support Pieh Marine Nature Tourism Park which be part of West Sumatra Marine Protected Area. Join the following conservation officer activities sea turtles conservation, dolphin watching, coral replant, or if you are lucky, seeing sea turtle hatchling and release them to ocean. Or you just swimming/ snorkeling/ beach walking, etc. Lunch will be provided in the Island by our team. (The activities will be in Sumatra mainland and a private island; traditional boat provided for dolphin watch and island transfer). Dinner will be at hotel.
Day 4: Culture Transition From Coastal to Highland (BLD)
Check out. Move deeper to the homeland of Minangkabau. Make some stops to explore cultural transition from coastal to highland region: local art & craft from eco material influenced by local wisdom; uniqueness behind “brick production” as cultural home industry supported by human and animal cooperation; Enroute trying some Minangkabau street foods (snack), it’s yummy and fun when you taste it and recognize how to make it, one of them is Bika, a combination of rice flour, sugar, coconut milk, etc Check in, we’ll stay about some nights in Bukittinggi, a town that has important role on Dutch colonialism era. Enroute lunch and hotel dinner. Night walking in or hang in a cafe in this city is recommended.
Day 5: Highland Culture of Minangkabau (BLD)
In the morning, stunning views of Lake Maninjau accompany villagers run sugar cane, rice and vegetables farming according to their local wisdom understanding. Here we can see another life harmony between human and nature. Enroute lunch and in early afternoon, in Sianok Canyon, discover how the powerful Minangkabau women maintain their 100 years craft works culture to support their family economically. Later, tracing silver smith works where you are able to see how culture influencing art. Hotel Dinner.
Day 6: Highland Culture of Minangkabau (BLD)
Almost similar to the day before, a countryside in the slope of volcano, Mt. Merapi, where the villager still maintain their tradition in this modern era. Here especially to visit and get information of 2 local experts best knowledge in Minangkabau weaving and carving style. How about art philosophy behind of those two works. One of them been awarded as Best Excellence Handicraft from Unesco. Beside, the combination of traditional and modern architecture become interesting fellow on visiting this village. Lunch in the local restaurant. Early afternoon, experience organic “Coffe Luwak” production process, coffee fun spa, and enjoy a cup of local warm coffee, in a village where Sir Stamford Raffless held Sumatra botany research. Hotel Dinner
Day 7: Highland Culture of Minangkabau (BLD)
Check out, move to Payakumbuh, a connecting town in northern Bukittinggi. Experience and explore eco product related to local wisdom. In general Minangkabau in the past two decades ago do not use plastic so much for family stuffs, now this cultural production become eliminated by plastic use. Lunch in local restaurant. At noon, experience bamboo rafting. These simple transportation is commonly used by remote villager to reach their place. Check in in the simple lodge/homestay. Dinner at lodge/homestay.
Day 8: Highland Culture of Minangkabau (BLD)
In the morning, we will drive to megalith site in Mahek. This is the valley of thousands megalithic menhirs. The thousands menhirs has orientation to the southeast direction toward the Mount Sago, like that of building megalithic tradition as a whole on the hill are intended as a means of connection between the living with the dead, because the mountain is considered sacred. This megalith heritage is about 3000-4000 BC and its motif similar to Minangkabau cultural house’s carving. Somewhere nearby by, there is also musical instrument made of stone. We’ll see locals play it with typical Minangkabau intonation. Back to homestay. Dinner at local restaurant.
Day 9: Cooling Down in Harau Valley (BLD)
Morning hiking to hidden waterfall in a beautiful valley surrounded by amazing rock and cliff landscape. Big possibility to see surround forest life and fresh of nature. Anyway nature shower in hidden waterfall is a must. Picnic Lunch. Late at noon back to lodge or homestay for late check out. Drive to Tanah Datar, the ancient land, homeland of Minangkabau people. Make some stop; in orange farm, coffee break and picturing beautiful landscape. Late check in at local resident. We’ll stay at Rumah Gadang, a typical and comunal house of this unique tribe. Tonight, we’ll experience how people prepare meal for formal reception or ceremony culturally. It’s fun as you will get Minangkabau dress code, if you are a group of traveler you will have your own role in this reception setting. “Bajamba” dinner, a dinner way in the ancient land of Minangkabau.
Day 10: Ancient Culture of (BLD)
After villager menu breakfast, experience local villagers activities; rice field works, net fishing of a seldom-fish species found only in the Lake Singkarak, harvest “Sawo” (Manilkarazapota) plantation. This villagers have a unique local wisdom to run the life economically as well as protecting nature from those three activities. Hike for Lake Singkarak stunning view. Picnic Lunch and Dinner at “Rumah Gadang”. Today, you’ll discover and taste about “Rendang”, the world most delicious food in where it originally from.
Day 11: Ancient Architectural (BLD)
Checkout, move to Sawahlunto, the oldest coal mining town in South East Asia. It was established 1882 and left the glorious past coal mining. Explore textile village, songket is a precious heritage that has been handed down the generation. It is most attractive not only because of intricate gold weave, but some songket have symbolic and social connotation. Before, explore we visit the great pagaruyuang palace, an iconic of Minangkabau architectural as well as a + 350 years old typical local knock-down house of this matrilineal tribe. Check in at standard hotel. Free on your leissure, this small town is comfortable for walking. Enroute lunch and hotel dinner.
Day 12: Coal History and Sawahlunto Landscape (BLD)
Fullday tour in Sawahlunto, a combination of walking and public transportation. Flashback of coal mining glory, explore culture, craft and art, and landscape as well. Lunch at local restaurant and dinner at hotel.
Day 13: To South Coast of West Sumatra (BLD)
Checkout, move down to south coast of West Sumatra. Passing Solok, where enroute we still see many “Rumah Gadang” maintained by local people. Along driving, green and blue stunning view from conservation forest and Indian ocean are the companion. Enroute lunch. Early noon transferred by boat to hidden paradise in Mandeh Bay. Check in at standard lodge/homestay. Enjoy the beach in front of Indian Ocean. Dinner at lodge/homestay.
Day 14-15: Escape in Blue Coastal (BLD)
After long journey, escape a while from noisy world. Hide in a deserted beach in front of Mandeh Bay soft sands. A hidden nook of paradise, and you’ll have hiking, island hoping, mangrove town, swimming, snorkeling, or just lying at the blue lagoon. Lunch and dinner in the location provided by our team.
Day 16: Culture in the Biggest City of West Sumatra (BLD)
Drive to Padang for 1.5 hours. City tour (historical place, museum, city development, and a culture side in a bursting market. Enroute lunch. Take horse cart for Indian coconut break for sunset. Farewell dinner with spectacular cultural show where a lady dancing into broken glass as the peak performance.
Day 17: Sampai Jumpa-Airport Transfer (B)
Free program with your own leisure until airport transfer.
- 2.5% will be donated to support Green Tourism Institute to educate and advocate West Sumatra local community about “sustainable tourism”.
- Small Group Trip (Maximum 16 Pax)
- In Rumah Gadang, a “Local Comunal Resident”: you’ll face and deal with standard condition.
- In Rumah Gadang, you’ll get a clean communal facilities (each rumah Gadang usually has 3-4 toilet/bathroom)
- In local resident our team will manage and advise about rubbish handling.
- In Rumah Gadang you’ll get twin/tripple/communal/dormy share of room with single bedding (no single supplement available)
- The trip’s purpose is to experience culture and how locals living the live from a journey, expected that local people will get culture sharing in order to maintain the good things from their side as many outsider interesting to see and recognizing it deeper. Beside, tourist is encouraged to support and develop a part of world as destination for peace and mutual respect. As well as to cultural sharing about a good life.
- This is an open trip, you will gather traveler around the world.
- Special private trip or out of the schedule please contact us.
- The routes are in remote area, away from tourist trail and most activities directly deal with local people. Our guides will brief about appropriate behavior, both cultural and environmental.
- For non restaurant, don’t worry about meals, we provide in our team a “chef” and supported with locals. Also about West Sumatra menu, even this Province well known with spicy food but there are many alternatives menu that meet the foreigners taste.
- Bring your own repelent/mosquito spray, and private medicine.
- For any force majeure situation, operator will change the route/ activities to the equal one.
- Trip starts and end at Padang (West Sumatra-Indonesia)
- Above price a starting price base on 2 pax and twin share room (the more pax you directly confirm, there will be a significant price adjustment.
3 Nights at Pariaman (standard comfortable hotel)
3 Nights at Bukittinggi (4 star hotel)
2 Nights at 50 Kota (standard lodge/homestay - no single supplement)
2 Nights at “Rumah Gadang”, a local comunal house (standard - no single supplement)
2 Nights at Sawahlunto (standard hotel).
3 Nights at Pesisir Selatan (standard lodge/homestay - no single supplement)
1 Night at Padang (4 star hotel)
*Single Supplement only for Hotel (+ € 152/ $ 171)
Meals as stated in program detail (16X dinner, 15X lunch, 16X breakfast)
* Please inform us for any dietary or vegetarian requirement.
- Tour Design.
- 16 Night Accommodation as in “Accommodation & Meals” Information.
- Meals as in “Accommodation & Meals” Information.
- Comfortable Tourist Transportation
- Experience Local Transport in certain occasion
- Traditional Boat transfer for Dolphin Watching and Escaping Day
- Licensed English Speaking Guide, local expert /guide in certain destination, snorkeling guide.
- Tour Crews (Logistic, Local Chef, Videographer & Photographer)
- Donation to Green Tourism Institute and certify as Green Friend of Indonesia.
- Snorkelling equipment.
- All Entrance Fee, donations to local community and activities fee.
- Private Cultural Show at Farewell Dinner
- CD Documentation
- International Flight Ticket
- All Personal Expense or Anything out of Inclusions
- Tipping (Please contact us for suggestion)